Skip to main content
Lilly Library

Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection

Hohenberger photo_small

The Lilly Library, in partnership with the Indiana University Digital Library Program, recently launched a newly-redesigned online portal for exploring the thousands of images contained in the Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection. This new site provides a new visual design along with access to many more digitized images than were available in the previous site, and new content will be added continually as it is digitized.

Newspaperman and photographer Frank M. Hohenberger (1876–1963) left Indianapolis in 1917 to start a small photography business in Nashville, Indiana, concentrating on the subject matter of Brown County. The next forty-seven years were spent recording the life, customs, and scenes of the hills of Brown County, of other areas of Indiana, of Kentucky, of South Carolina, and of Mexico. From 1923 to 1954 he wrote a column for the Indianapolis Star entitled “Down in the Hills O’ Brown County.” The articles were frequently illustrated with his photographs.

Hohenberger willed his collection to the Indiana University Foundation, and in 1998 ownership was transferred to the Lilly Library.

Visit the redesigned Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection site at