Metadata management is essential for digitization projects to keep track of items as they go through the digitization workflow. How much is necessary for preservation, though, and how does that information become complete enough for discovery and access purposes? Preserving digitized objects and making them discoverable and accessible require even more strategizing to decide which pieces of metadata to capture, how that metadata is captured and stored, and how best to leverage that metadata for discovery and access. Several projects at IU are approaching different aspects of these processes. Recent examples involving media include Avalon Media System for discovery and access of audiovisual materials and the Media Digitization and Preservation Initiative, which will be concerned with metadata strategies for preservation of digitized objects.
Join us for a discussion about metadata workflow and management when digitizing and preserving collections. All are welcome to participate!
DATE: Tuesday, December 17
PLACE: Wells Library Room 043
TOPIC: Metadata Strategies for Digitization and Preservation Projects
MODERATOR: Julie Hardesty
RESOURCES YOU MIGHT CONSULT
The following give some info on both Avalon and MDPI. Review these with digitizing, preserving, and discovery/access metadata in mind.
I have 20 minutes:
- Avalon Media System. The Project. http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/project
- Avalon Media System. Batch Ingest Package Format. https://wiki.dlib.indiana.edu/display/VarVideo/Batch+Ingest+Package+Format
- IU Newsroom. (2013 October 1). President McRobbie unveils digital preservation initiative, comprehensive strategic planning process. http://news.iu.edu/releases/iu/university-wide/2013/10/state-of-university-2013.shtml
- Example of things to consider for metadata creation: Cornell University Library. Digital Imaging Tutorial Step 5. Metadata. http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/metadata/metadata-02.html
I have an hour:
- Avalon Media System. Try Out Avalon. http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/try-out-avalon
- Sherwinter, N. and Richard Wright. (2010). Strategy for use of preservation metadata within a digital library. PrestoCentre. https://www.prestocentre.org/system/wp-content/uploads/library/resource/strategy_for_use_v1.02.pdf
- Indiana University Bloomington Media Preservation Initiative Task Force. (2011). Executive Summary. Meeting the Challenge of Media Preservation: Strategies and Solutions. 1-5. http://www.indiana.edu/~medpres/documents/iu_mpi_report_public.pdf
Leave a Reply