I think being mobile-optimized is one of the niftier features of our new blog service. Using a plugin (WPMS Mobile Edition), we are able to simply flip a switch and … pow! automagically enable mobile-friendly blogs.
Curious what this looks like? Here are a couple screenshots of the reDUX blog taken on my iPhone.
Shiny! If you are running your own WordPress site (just a single site, rather than a multi-site installation like ours), you might want to try something like WordPress Mobile Pack.
Join Anne Haines & Courtney Greene of DUX for an overview of the new IUB Libraries Blog service (http://blogs.libraries.iub.edu), launched earlier this month. In this session, they will discuss the new features and functionality of the blog service, give a peek into the day-to-day of maintaining a blog by demonstrating the staff interface, and present an overview of how to get started blogging for a department, unit, or Libraries group for interested parties.
When: Thursday, June 30th, 1-2p
Where: Wells 043
Some highlights of the new blog service:
- a combined RSS feed, allowing people to easily subscribe to all content from all IUB Libraries blog service blogs
- a set of themes that are customized for the IUB Libraries (fully branded & in conformance with IU identity standards)
- plus, all blogs are now mobile-ready!
- blog content will now be returned as part of the library site search, making it easier to find
- statistics tracking using Google Analytics
- a more robust server and an updated WordPress platform
- support with setup and blog maintenance from DUX
A policy statement for the IUB Libraries Blogs can be found on the intranet.
Thanks to everyone who helped launch this project, and special thanks to Keith Welch and Brian Wheeler for their technical support.
Happy blogging, & we hope to see you at the DRET workshop!